Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Denmark Itinerary

I've used the excuse "I'm trying to get ready for this trip!" to assuage the guilt I've been feeling about NOT writing. My apologies to all 3 of my loyal fans :). If it makes you feel any better, I can blame it on my imaginary poodle Fido. He ate my posts.

I will not do any better over the next few weeks, but I will be traveling so that is an excellent excuse, don't you think?

When I'm back I will post so many pictures you will have to spend days slogging through them--so be prepared. I may be irritating and cloying for a few weeks when I say things like "When I was in Denmark . . ." and "I bought that in Denmark." and "I found this in an adorable little shop in Denmark." When I blather on too long, you are invited to pinch me. It will bring me back to the present and remind me that I'm boring you.

Image via geology.com

The map is to give you a taste of where we are going. Click here for a better view of the image. We start in Copenhagen (far right) and will criss cross through out several of the islands that make up Denmark. Our southern islands will include Mon (green island almost directly below Copenhagen) and Aero (little pink-orange island shaped a bit like the letter "L" that is below the pink-orange island of Fyn; the city "Hjorring" ends up with its letter "g" resting on this island). We will spend a day or two in Odense on the island of Fyn and then make our way up Jutland through Vejle and Silkeborg to Alborg near the top. We will also go to the very tippy top of Denmark to Skagen where the North Sea and the Baltic Sea meet. Then back through Randers and Arhus. We will end up near Copenhagen in Roskilde and see a historic Viking village there as well as the great cathedral that placed Roskilde on the map as the center of religion in northern Europe. We will spend our last few days in Copenhagen.

I'm sure it will all fly by me too fast. Hopefully the pictures will help me remember my very favorite parts. I can't wait to see the Carl Bloch paintings, the Christus statue, the Mermaid statue, Tivoli Gardens, the 17th century Danish village on Aero, the lake district near Silkeborg, the artist's delight of Skagen and many more sites. I've said before that seeing where my dad lived is also going to be a highlight of this trip as well as the hometowns of Jens Peder and Hans Jorgen--both young men who left home, family and country to emigrate to 19th century America and follow their hearts to Zion.

Wish me luck! I'll eat a Danish or two in your honor while I'm away. You had no idea I was soooo thoughtful, did you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eden, I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear your adventures!
Jana

Christine said...

You never got sick of hearing about my cruise on my blog . . . did you??????? When is the welcome home party so we can see the pics.

Macy said...

I am so Jealous!! With a capital J!!! I'm sorry I missed supper club last month- my YW activity went way late... Have a great trip!!!! See you soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails