Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

RECIPE: The Best Broccoli



I stumbled across this recipe about a month ago and it has become a new favorite. I'm always buying broccoli and looking for new ways to introduce it into my menus before it rots in the fridge. Mostly, I've steamed the broccoli and dressed it with olive oil, lemon juice and salt which is good but this recipe kicks the whole taste factor up to an entirely new level. An entirely yummy level.

This recipe comes directly from the Amateur Gourmet who says it is a play off a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa and her recent cookbook called Back to Basics. Well, the Contessa has my vote for getting this basic just right.

I ate nearly the half the pan of broccoli the first time I made it and was certainly enjoying the mix of flavors when I suddenly felt profoundly full. It was like my body had been calling out for this particular mixture of roasted broccoli, lemon, garlic and salt and when I had received just the right amount of nutrients, my body proclaimed a halt. I sat around after that just feeling completely satisfied all the way down to my toes.

Hmmmmm. That is a gorgeous feeling that I want to replicate more often in my life.

Now, as to the food photography, I recognize I will win no awards for that photo but I'm trying to remember to catalog these recipes visually so I can share the love. Hopefully, we will see an improvement in the photography skill as I continue.

Also, I changed the quantities on the recipe a bit because I didn't want 4 to 5 lbs. of broccoli just for me and I don't use Parmesan cheese, I only use almond mozzarella cheese because of the food allergy thing. You can use either regular mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese with this. So, here's a recipe to enjoy.


The Best Broccoli
from the Amateur Gourmet via the Barefoot Contessa

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

1 large bunch of broccoli cut into florets (washed and dried thoroughly--it won't roast as well if it is still wet or damp)
3 Tbsps olive oil
3/4 to 1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
3 garlic cloves, sliced

Place broccoli florets on cookie sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and cloves. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes.

When the broccoli comes out of the oven it will be tinged brown on the edges of the florets. Now dress it with the following:

Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon
2 Tbsps of toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup of shredded almond mozzarella cheese
I paired it with my favorite roast chicken the other night and the meal was delicious. So, now you know that broccoli can not only be good for you but also just plain good.

3 comments:

Christine said...

Looks like your stone is getting some love! Are those yams sliced around the broccoli?

Lori said...

Yum! that looks so good!

Elisa said...

I LOVE doing broccoli like this!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails