Pages

Monday, January 5, 2009

What a Way to Begin

I love the new year because it is full of possibilities, hope and the joy of new beginnings. Fresh beginnings. Beginnings that could mark the day that I overcame a bad habit, accomplished a long-wished-for goal, or started doing life just a little bit better.

Today reminded me why I'm so very, very bad at new beginnings.

I wanted to go to bed early last night, but I didn't.

I wanted to get up early this morning, but I didn't (except technically when I rolled over at 4:00AM and burrowed further under the covers).

I wanted to get out the door on time, but I didn't.

I wanted to eat better, but I didn't. (Although, not eating the frosting on that first piece of cake--I call that a step in the right direction.)

I wanted my new computer set up at work, but it isn't.

I wanted my new iPod all set up with my calendar, to-do list, and email, but it isn't.

I wanted my house clean, my car clean, my laundry done, my bathroom scrubbed, my diet begun, my exercise routine down, a new job, my first house, totally debt-free bank balance, and me rockin' a bikini body.

All without lifting my pinkie finger. If only my fairy godmother had come through for me.

It was a nice list, a good list, a list worth noting. At least in my mind, if not in the actual, physical reality of the world.

And once again, I'm reminded that setting 20 exceedingly difficult goals for the new year gets me in the exact predicament I so loathe: me warding off the beginnings of a panic attack.

Well, I guess I can't say that I'm bad at all beginnings. At least not of the anxiety-disordered kind.

Happy New Year to me!

What about the rest of you? What New Year's goals do you have? Are they recent goals or goals that have been sitting on your plate for several years now? How are you planning on accomplishing those goals? In one year from now what do you most want to have accomplished in 2009?

Remember, a goal unwritten is only a wish! So, let's hear it, people.

5 comments:

Rus said...

I have one goal for 2009: to read each of your blog posts and make a comment. Mark me down for 1.

Cissy said...

I'm afraid that a goal is more like a birthday wish that won't come true if you tell.

But here's one (I always get over-ambitious the first days of January, too)...To send something to my siblings on their birthdays. Actually, that's a carry-over from last year, because I failed completely.

Kristin said...

I have loved all your posts lately! I never get tired of reading your thoughts : ) I loved the Bug Ride one. I actually gagged just a little when I read about you swallowing all those bugs. You have a great talent. I am glad that you share it with everyone : )

Eden said...

Rus--The ticker has begun. Count 1.

Cissy--Yes, I'm hoping to do better with birthdays this year as well. Here's to our mutual improvement.

Kristin--Once again, you heartened me. I so appreciate loyal readers and copious comments. Thank you!

Rasmussen Family said...

I never made resolutions until a couple of years ago when I realized that unconsciously I was making yearly goals and decided that my days of saying I don't make goals are over. This year I want to graduate. This year I want to dance in another ballet. And...maybe have a baby!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails